BACKGROUND

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

My Letter to Gramps


Dear Gramps,
           
Wow, what a crazy week I have had. It almost doesn’t seem real to me that you are gone. It feels like just yesterday you were rushing home to see Scarlette and already her time with you is over on this earth, at this time. How I treasure every moment you got to spend with her. The Lord works in mysterious ways and I sometimes wonder “Why my Grandpa?” “Why Now?”. I know that Scarlette will grow up and ask about you and I know what I will tell her. Simply, “He was the best Grandpa a girl could ask for”. I was your first granddaughter and you always made me feel so special. You came to all of my soccer games, choir concerts, award ceremonies and life events. I looked forward to you picking me up from school to take me to orthodontic appointments and when we would go on trips together. 22 ½ years is a long time to know somebody and I pray that our memories will stay with me in time. What an amazing blessing it was for you to be with me in the temple while my parents waited outside. This gift is something none of the other grandchildren will experience with you in your earthly body. I hope I may feel of your spirit as I attend the temple in the future. Gramps, I just love you so much. As I am writing this I think to myself how many words I left unspoken yet how they didn’t need to be spoken for you to know.

            The memories that I will treasure most include:
1.     Our trip to Wyoming and how we never let you fall asleep.
2.     Our trip to Salt Lake to go to Maggie’s wedding and you taking us to see every temple without complaint. Your sleeping pill incident and how we laughed and laughed as you snored on.
3.     The few times you stopped by unannounced to our new place on the west side. How grateful I am that we were home for you to spend time with us. I wish I had brought Scarlette over more.
4.     When I came over to make the beanbag and I was able to help you make those labels. You were so proud over something so small.
5.     When you rushed home to see Scarlette and how you were able to be in her blessing circle.
6.     I knew if I sat next to Grandpa my toes would get popped!
7.     You calling my “Nikki-Cole”.

There are so many more memories that we share but the most important ones to me are the instances where you simply dropped everything to help me out. Your love was spoken through deeds and I will never forget them.

Tonight as I ponder how tomorrow will go I am touched by the Holy Spirit. How grateful I am for temples here on the earth. How grateful I am for the power of the priesthood. How grateful I am for our Heavenly Father’s plan of salvation.

Grandpa, I know you are with your parents and siblings. I take comfort in the fact that you are at peace and in a state of rest. I look forward to the day I will see you again and promise you with all my heart that I will try to live my life in a way that is conducive with how my Heavenly Father would want me to live my life. Your charity is amazing and I hope to be one tenth of the person you are one day. You exemplified the Savior with your missionary work and generosity. I hope and pray the Lord will give me more opportunities to serve others and choose to be more like you. Gramps, I promise to treasure everyday I am given with my family. I promise to always keep you in my heart but to keep on living as you would want me to do. I promise to take care of Grandma and love her like you loved her. I promise to take care of Mom and love her SO much for you. Everyday I will choose to be a missionary and spread the gospel. Tomorrow I dedicate my song to you and every other song I sing I will be thinking about you.

This letter could go on and on if I let it but I know you probably have more important things to do in the spirit world. I will leave my letter with my humble testimony that I know Jesus is the Christ. I know the gospel has been restored here on the earth. I know Joseph Smith is a true prophet of God. I know that Thomas S. Monson is the living prophet today. I know that prayer is how we communicate with our Heavenly Father.

I know that families are forever.
I bear testimony of these things in the name of Jesus Christ Amen.

I love you Gramps.




No comments:

Post a Comment